August 7, 2012

Home cookin'

Since I can remember, I have always been waiting for the day that I get to decorate my own house and cook recipes that are running through my head. Now that I'm married, I get to do both!

Tomato-mozzarella-basil-pesto sammie & zucchini fries (recipe here)

Lately, I've really enjoyed cooking. There's something relaxing about cooking (except for that time I tried to make potstickers and they did just that...I was pissed), and I love watching my husband take the first bite and see his face of pure joy in my cooking.

Farmers Market goodies from Charleston, SC

Cooking has also taken a turn towards eating health(ier). It definitely helps that I know a farmer. I have since tried kale (and loved it) and I have eaten zucchini more times in the past few months than I have my whole life. I have also cooked veggies that scare the crap out of me (see that pattypan squash up there? I'm nervous about cooking that one). I have even taken a trip to Forsyth Farmers Market and have bought my first few dozen brown, cage free chicken eggs. Woohoo!

Chicken Veggie Udon Stirfry; Pesto pasta with roasted garlic & tomatoes

I have also been bringing some Asian zest into my husband's life; we went on a daring adventure into the ghetto downtown and found the 'secret' grocery store that has everything that I've been missing/craving. (I didn't know how 'Asian' I actually was until I moved to a place where things like dumplings and bok choy and wontons aren't available in a bajillion stores near me) We had to walk to the back of a gas station-esque grocery store to discover the plethora of familiar goods (weird) and then we had to go into industrial walk-ins to pick out our veggies (even weirder).


The older I get the more I realize that I need to be careful and mindful about what I eat. Not mindful in the 'think about the animal you're eating' kind of way, but more like the 'will this be good for my body or will I regret eating this in 5 minutes' kind of way. I always grew up eating veggies and fruits (my family is known for eating whole watermelons in one sitting) and I hope to carry on the tradition in my new family too.

What kind of eating habits have you adopted lately? Where do you like to shop for food?

No comments:

Post a Comment