October 21, 2011

East meets West

I always wanted to be born a hapa - a person that is half one race and half another. Then I took my first biology class with punnett squares and realized that it was impossible for me to change my race after I was born (big bummer).

So, I decided if I couldn't be born one, I would make one(s). And now, here I am, 24 years later, about to marry a white guy...and my children will be beautiful hapa children.

With these two races mixing, it means we have to start sharing cultures. I didn't realize how much 'different' my family was in comparison to my fiance's family...until I realized that my childhood food memories revolve around rice, noodles, and dumplings, and the fiance's childhood food memories revolve around pork chops, apple sauce, and shrimp.

The fiance's parents were in town this past weekend and my family decided to show them who we are, by showing them what we like to eat.

Honey Pig BBQ. Koreans do beef the right way.

Hot pot at home. Strange yet comforting.

I'm a little jealous of my future children. Not only will they be better looking than me, but they'll get to eat two different food flavors for the rest of their lives. Lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment