May 3, 2012

Proverbs 19:21

The day I realized I needed to start acting my age

I remember not too long ago being anxious about my future, consumed with questions like "what am I supposed to do next?", "where am I supposed to go next?" and "how am I supposed to know how to navigate my life as a 'young adult'?"

And now here I am, 3 years after those questions controlled my life, done with both undergrad and graduate school, and about to move and get married to the one I love. Sure, these questions still bother me at times, times when I feel unsure or when I feel like there doesn't seem to be anything waiting for me on the other side. But then I am reminded of how great my life has been, how blessed my life has been, and how He has continued to provide for me and lead me in ways that speak directly to how much He loves and saves me everyday.

The fiance and I have been showered by so much love from our friends and family in anticipation for our wedding that we are sure that all of these blessings are not from our own doing (I mean we got a gas grill gifted to us for heaven's sake!) We prayed for and were provided a house that fits our needs perfectly. I managed to survive 2 years of graduate school learning how to be a compassionate and effective helper to others as a social worker. And, as if those weren't enough blessings, the fiance got word yesterday that he got into a masters program at Duke University that will bless him in his ministry with young people for years to come.

When I look back at the decisions I had to make and the many times I had to walk in faith, I see clearly how He has lead me (and the fiance) in a path that always leads us back to Him and his purposes for us. The experiences we have had, the people we have met, the places we have gone - have all helped us see that it is not my desires or my wants that have been accomplished, but His. (If my desires and wants were accomplished, I would have been one of the lucky people who won that ridiculously large lottery last month!)

Goes to show ya -- the Lord really knows our heart and wants the best for us. As long as we seek after Him, He really does make our lives meaningful, full, purposeful, and enjoyable.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."

No comments:

Post a Comment